Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Masked on

For the first time, I wore a mask at work and it's not because of the haze. 

My client had bought a pack of masks for me because I was coughing my lungs out. My eyes were teary and my head hurt. I couldn't speak much as it would trigger my cough. I really wished I didn't have to be at work today. My mc had ended yesterday, we were short handed and deadlines were looming.

What should I have done?

While I know it's the more responsible thing to do to wear a mask so others don't catch the germs, but it does make me feel a little alienated. It occurred to me that some people may not care if a person is sick, as long as they get the work accomplished in their demanded timeframe. It saddened me a little. Such is the hamster wheel in our society. I could see among my management that they were conflicted on whether to let me stay home the next day.

Thankfully my day was short and I went back to rest. 

My first trip to the doctor was 3 days ago and my medication had finished. So I went back to see the doctor after my dinner for the 2nd time. And I was refused consultation. Why? Because there was a long queue and the assistant had to limit the number of patients so the doctor could go home on time.

I tried to plead for the assistant to squeeze one more person in but was denied. It occurred to me that I could get prescriptions over the counter if they don't let me see the doctor. 

It saved me the consultation fee and I got my medicine. Except no MC because only the doctor can prescribe one. 

How does a doctor can stay healthy and well when he sees sick people everyday? 

No comments: